Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Waiting, waiting, waiting


I've never been good at waiting. Patience? You gotta be kidding! I want to know NOW!! Tell me!! So what am I waiting for?? Well I'm still waiting to hear from Richmond about my book. Those pages and pages of my writing which is sitting gathering dust on an editor's desk. Well those pages are teaching me patience. Lots and lots of patience.

It also is redefining my relationship with my postman. Not that he knows this of course. He just thinks he is delivering post. And when a package he can't fit through the door arrives he just calmly fills in the little red and white card, oblivious to the fact that he is about to set panic into my life. See when I get through the front door and see that card I begin to wonder. Could it be Amazon? No haven't bought anything recently. Could it be M&B? YES YES YES!! It must be that!! They are sending it back with black marks everywhere. CRAP written across every page.

So I go to the Post Office, trepidation in every step. And when I hand the card over and they ask what I am expecting I am just glad there is a glass window between me and them. I'm not sure they would appreciate me taking them by the lapels and sobbing helplessly over them. And when they arrive with the package (most of which could have gone through the letterbox) my heart starts again. It isn't that I don't appreciate the promo CDs or the books friends have sent its just that... well, it isn't what I am waiting for!!

Patience. Hard to gain when you are instant gratification kid.

N.B. I have actually asked them to shred it instead of sending it back but it doesn't seem to stop my imagination going wild.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hang in there kid!
lx

Anonymous said...

This is the WORST thing about being a writer - the Waiting phase which never seems to end.
I hate it too.
I think my record was 10 months for a publisher in the US. Who then rejected my book by postcard.

They do say that 'Patience is a gift of the Virtuous.'
OOPS. Where do Go-Geting folk with their eyes on the Prize fit in?
Doomed.:-)
The only thing to do is write the next bestseller!
LOL and Best of British.

Donna Alward said...

Hugs. And thank you for saving my sanity today. :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks Liz x

Rayanne - I am currently writing something, whether it is the next bestseller or not I have no idea! And congrats on selling the second book.

Donna - thanks and saving your sanity was my pleasure. Just remember 'she is the constant' ;-)

Donna Alward said...

Yes and she loves longest, even when all hope is gone. I watched it last night. Not your version though...

Unknown said...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=persuasion+1995

Go there to see scenes from MY one!! Honestly.. is fab!! I feel a blog post later today about it coming on

Kate Hardy said...

Hugs, Biddy. Waiting is the pits. What you need is to distract yourself... with a new book, some good music and some ice cream.

(OK, so I'm a bad influence...)

Nell Dixon said...

Hugs on the waiting BTDT. I hate getting those little cards too and it's never the parcel you think it's going to be.