Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Book Review: Murder Most Unladylike - Robin Stevens


I'm not usually one to review books but I got a copy of this Middle Grade book from the publisher in exchange for a fair review. I so wanted to read it, I promised a review :-)


As a fan of both classic boarding school tales and the golden age of crime I was intrigued by ‘Murder Most Unladylike’ and got stuck into it as soon as I could.

I wasn’t disappointed. Robin Stevens has written a wonderful mash up of the two genres. Hazel Wong makes an excellent if slightly more critical Watson to Daisy Well’s Holmes. The two have set up their own secret detective agency and when Hazel finds the science mistress dead in the gym they set out to investigate.

The book is a wonderful murder mystery and friendship story. As a former boarder at an all girls school, Deepdean School was extremely familiar. The rhythm of the day and the intrigues of teen girls that feels even more intense when you are together 24/7. Hazel’s view on this world as an outsider to both the school and English society gives it a realistic feel rather than a parody. When she works out what she needs to fit in, I shivered in remembrance.

The murder mystery was well plotted and with enough twists to keep you guessing. I also appreciate anyone who name checks my favourite crime writer of all time, Dorothy L Sayers.

I raced through the book and can’t wait for the next case from Wells and Wong.

Murder Most Unladylike is published 5th June 2014 in the UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Murder-Most-Unladylike-Wells-Mystery/dp/0552570729

No comments: